Blender brain. It’s what I call the state of having so many things whirring through my mind that it’s hard to focus or move forward.
Can you relate?
Last post I wrote about the intriguing concept of emotional hygiene – a concept coined by Guy Winch – which is being mindful of our psychological health and adopting brief daily habits to monitor and address psychological wounds when we sustain them.
This week I’m offering up a simple, free tool to help you with your own emotional hygiene. A tool to stop the whirring, whizzing state of your brain for a few moments.
M.F.M. – Mini-for-me (& you)
Years ago, with the intention of meditating a few minutes a day, I created an M.F.M. – a ‘Mini-for-me’ – a tool that helps me press pause & simply reflect. Why mini-for-me? Because I wanted something easy to do for myself that would help me relax.
Each day has a different theme for how I want to feel / what I want to reflect on.
(Don’t worry, no master origami skills needed – you can get yours up & running in just a few minutes. All you need is: a sheet of cardboard, scissors, & if you want to make your own themes, felts or markers.)
Instructions for your own emotional hygiene M.F.M. tool
Want to try it? Want a copy?
Here’s your detailed instructions to achieve a few moments of custom-made peace & well being:
- If you want to use mine download my ‘Mini-for-me’ & print onto an 8 1/2 x 11 or A4 sheet of cardboard. If you want to create your own simply start with a blank sheet of cardboard.
- Fold according to the instructions here (essentially fold it lengthwise into 4 equal sections).
- Overlap two of the sections so you have a triangle. Here’s what it looks like from the side when it’s folded (see below).
- Make a cut between each day of the week, up to the first fold line (see below).
- For each day of the week simply tuck the flap behind the word you’ve written (or my word if you’re using mine). Here it is from the front – notice how Thursday’s flap is back so you can see the word I intend to think on today …. serene.
- Tip: if you are using regular paper instead of cardstock or if you use your mini-for-me a lot, it may need a little support. I simply put paper clips (yes in the shape of rock, paper & scissors) on the edges of mine.
- Now go forth & Mini-for-me. Each day simply change which word is facing out.
Enjoy some peace of mind. Literally. And let me know how it goes.