It’s been quite the year. There’s much to gnash our teeth, despair and flail over, but there’s equally much to celebrate, including you dear reader.
The blackbirds are singing in the dead of the night, take these broken wings and learn to fly, all your life you were only waiting for this moment to arise. With a little help from our friends and colleagues, we don’t have to go it alone. And in fact, we shouldn’t. (All types of) Community is everything.
Community brings peace, hope and possibility.
Let’s celebrate community because it can change the world.
Know that on dark nights, when you might feel chicken to effect change, I have your back. The very shape of you and your gifts, your talents, your unique perspective is what the world needs, all day and all night long.
Our silver lining, which is worth raising a glass to, is when emotions feel like a landslide and it seems like we’re sinking into a dark pit, being able to put on our boogie shoes, and continue to go our own way.
Every day is a winding road.
Sometimes we may not feel like dancing, but one way or the other, we can ALWAYS try, as we bow down to the temple of peace, hope and possibility and then get back up and we can work it out.
Because out of the depths of sorrow and of possibility and while it’s still in many ways a man’s, man’s, man’s world, it’s signed, sealed and delivered, you were right. That little voice that clamors in your head was and is right. Your voice is necessary and oh so needed. So take me to the river, let’s wash off 2019 and bring on the gifts of 2020, which definitely includes you dear one.
The table is never too crowded, there’s always room for one more.
Let yourself have faith. I have faith in humanity, I have faith in you.
This tribute celebrates you, yes you. It’s based on a playlist I put together for you with songs from the italicized text.
Take a listen, take a step and dance. Here’s the list of songs and artists:
- Blackbird, Emma Steven
- With a little help from my friends, Joe Cocker
- Change the world, Eric Clapton
- Chicken to change, Freshly ground
- Shape of you Wouter Kellerman, Ndlovu Youth Choir
- All night long, Lionel Richie
- My silver lining, First Aid Kit
- Raise your Glass, P!nk
- Landslide, Fleetwood Mac
- Boogie Shoes, KC and the Sunshine Band
- Go your own way, Fleetwood Mac
- Everyday is a winding road, Sheryl Crow
- I don’t feel like dancin’, Scissor Sisters
- One way or the other, Blondie
- Try, Dolly Parton
- We can work it out, Stevie Wonder
- Mi’Ma’amakim (out of the depths), Idan Raichel
- It’s a man’s, man’s, man’s world, James Brown
- Signed sealed delivered, Stevie Wonder
- T’avais raison Lams, Bilie Holladaze (you were right)
- Take me to the river, Al Green
- Crowded table, Highwomen
- Let yourself, Martyn Joseph
- Paradise, George Ezra
- My I have faith video (this one’s a special twist on an old favourite, just for you)
- Sometimes trying is hard but there’s always help at hand.
- Share the playlist and tell someone why you’re celebrating them.
- Let me know which song or part of the story resonated most with you in the comments below.