There are so many moments in life that can seem small but upon some quiet reflection you realize they have so much in common. Here are 7 of those moments & experiences that I was able to come up with in a very short period of reflection that all have something very special in common. Read on and see if you can see the thread that binds them together.
- An email of thanks from one of my readers (who I happen to know & who is unbelievably talented) arrived recently: “I just started my new position as managing director of xyz on the executive team. It was announced to the whole team and boy, was I overwhelmed with “imposter syndrome”, definitely wondering if the team thought of me as incompetent &/or incapable! My biggest leadership challenge has always been dealing with the AME (African Male Ego). This came right on time, thank you so much. I will use my feather duster).
2. I’m redesigning/redeveloping my website & I’ve found the perfect fit with the talented Alyssa Burtt
3. I’m learning about storytelling from the gifted & magical Marsha Shandur
4. One of my all time besties just said to me ‘Isn’t it great that I have money problems. I mean that that’s all I’m really concerned about? It’s a great problem to have, it’s figure-out-able.’
5. I recently facilitated a learning forum in the Maasai Mara where hippos sung us to sleep & we drove past a pride of stately lions on the way to the dusty airstrip to fly home.
6. While in London recently, a man tapped me on the shoulder in the tube & handed me back my credit card, which I’d unknowingly just dropped.
7. Two friends & I had tickets to the Irish ball recently but at the last minute they couldn’t go. I was able to find a brand new friend & an old friend to go with me at the last minute (who were wildly disparate, had never met & got along like a house on fire). I danced all night (one of my absolutely favourite things to do) & even won a little competition.
What do all of these scenarios have in common?
Reasons to be grateful. Gobsmackingly, fill you up to the brim & beyond, grateful.
When I think of all of these events I remember people’s overwhelming capacity to be kind. I acknowledge synchronicity, mama nature & the importance of connecting (not to mention dancing). And most of all, they’re a wonderful reminder & respite in the busyness & chaos of every day life.
April 29th is International Dance day – I’m going to be doing a little jig of gratitude that day. Won’t you join me?
And be sure & share the gratitude.
One of the recommendations in my recent post, the C-word (confidence), recommends asking a friend or trusted colleague what you’re great at & remind yourself about all you have to be confident about. After receiving my reader’s response to the post above (& having my heart strings tugged at her imposter-syndrome) I immediately emailed her with things I know are wonderful about her.
Spread the confidence, spread the gratitude.
Your turn. Take action
- Identify 5 things you’re grateful for. Make a point of celebrating them (& you).
- Send a note to someone and tell them how grateful you are for having them in your life.
- April 29th is International Dance day #InternationalDanceDay – make a point of dancing to one of your favourite songs. Even better, invite a colleague or two to join you.
- It’s easier to be grateful when you’re confident, so use this confidence building (& sharing) tool.
- Please do leave a comment below about what you’ve got to be grateful for no matter how little or how big.