Have you laughed lately?
“Sometimes crying or laughing are the only options left, and laughing feels better right now.” ― Veronica Roth
Last week I wrote about how to keep our minds and our hearts open by learning in this time of coronavirus. Now it’s time to share resources to help exercise your funny bone, regardless of (and especially) how out of shape it might be.
Let’s look for opportunities to laugh in this chaotic uncertainty
Without discounting the very real suffering and tragedy in the world right now, let’s look for opportunities to chuckle, hoot, giggle, chortle and let laughter loose.
We learn to laugh before we learn to walk or talk. Laughter is universal. So let’s create a slightly firmer foundation to connect, bride and belong by laughing …..together.
“I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t laugh.” ― Maya Angelou
I’m deliberately looking for ways to be of service and one of the best ways I can do that is through offering support, perspective and innovation in my offerings. Specifically, giving you resources for these shaky times so your foundation feels a little firmer. So you can continue to serve in the best way you know how.
You know I always end my posts with: “Now go on and learn, laugh and lead.” Well, this post is completely focused on those three things. Actually it’s the second of three posts.
Ready? Here we go.
1. Resources to help you learn
- Resources to expand your perspective, gain some footing in uncertain times, feel some sense of control and agency.
2. Resources to help you laugh
- Things to exercise your funny bone, take a breath and giggle.
3. And (next week) resources to help you lead
- Specifically resources to reach out to your community and connect, to bridge and create belonging. Because we all work better when we work together.
Here is the second part of the three-part series.
Laugh with me
Depending on your energy level, check out these funny-for-you resources, each with its anticipated laugh-o-meter rating.
If you’ve barely got the energy to give a little giggle, simply watch one or more of these videos
- Anticipated laughter-o-meter scale: a smile and maybe a soft chuckle
- Explaining the Pandemic to my Past Self
- How to Pass the Salt While Maintaining Proper Social Distance
- Celebrity live streams via the marvelous Marsha Shandur
- If you don’t have the energy or will to boogie, try this dancing bottle opener.
- Watch this escape ‘room’ video.
- Check out my curated funny video playlist.
If you’ve got a little energy to spare, try these interactive giggle prompts
- Anticipated level on the laughter-o-meter: a down right chortle or three.
- The pickle story: I, along with some very fine friends and colleagues, made you an interactive story, called the Pickle story. View our giggle-fest example here. Then try it yourself. Here’s the full story with instructions and soundbite examples for the cast of characters including a princess, a pickle, and more.
- Is it open or closed? Have fun with this sweet, snappy video game I made for you.
- Dance with me, because It’s Good to Be Alive and I Have Faith in You.
- Dance with him.
- It’s not easy raising tenacious, strong-minded kids. If you’re a parent or you have little ones in your life, watch this video then pat yourself on the back.
- Prepare to be dazzled by some 3D animals right in the room with you. Using the Chrome browser, Google one or more of the following animals. Look for the 3D button. Press it and voila, you’ll have a cheetah in your living room, moving around and stretching. Look for: Lion, Tiger, Cheetah, Shark, Hedgehog, Duck, Emperor penguin, Wolf, Angler fish, Goat, Rottweiler, Snakes, Eagle, Brown bear, Alligator, Horse, Shetland pony, Macaw, Pug, Turtle, Cat, Octopus, Dog
Bonus!! If you’ve got more energy for a big payoff…..
- Anticipated level on the laughter-o-meter: off the scale
Laughter is like yawning (only way better of course).
Yawning and Laughter are both contagious.
Laughter can help brighten a day, lift our spirits, even massage our internal organs.
That’s why I’m finally living the dream. I have been meaning to make a laugher roll tape for, well, decades. I need your help. And there’s a sweet bonus in it for you.
So here’s the deal.
- Take out your phone and audio record you, your loved ones, your friends, etc. laughing. It can be a full-on belly laugh, a little giggle or anything in between. Just as long as you’re laughing.
- No need for video. Just a short (5-10 seconds) audio recording, please.
- Then email the clip to firstname.lastname@example.org
- I’ll compile them and send you the link. Voila! Instant giggle fest.
And there you have it, resources for you and your funny bone. Whether you barely have the energy to smile, you’ve got a little energy to spare or you’re full-on, there’s something for you.
Enjoy dear one. Laugh away. And be gentle with yourself, stay well and safe and know I’m thinking of you.
Stay tuned for next week’s post on resources to help you lead (aka engage with your community).
P.S. Let’s stay connected. Free weekly coaching by email on how to use humanity and humour to problem solve, right here.