The pressure’s on. It’s a new year which likely means a new and never-ending to do list right?
We focus wayyyy too much on our to do’s and not enough on our to don’ts.
Let me explain.
When was the last time you took something OFF your plate of to do’s?
We’re so busy piling up the things we have to do that it easily and quickly becomes overwhelming and exhausting. Plus our big, important priorities can get lost in the flotsam and jetsam of an overwhelming list that’s longer than Route 66.
If you find yourself bending into a pretzel to keep all your plates up and spinning, instead of trying to continuously make your plate bigger – you know the one, that holds all your to do’s, and that you’re working like a dog to keep afloat – it’s time for something new.
Here’s a suggestion; let’s dig in and dig some out.
In order to really focus on where you are, where you want to be and how to get there, simply use my adjusted to do list. You’ll have more breathing space, the plates you’re carrying will be lighter and they’ll fit you and your life better.
Here we go with the revised ‘ta-da’ to-do list:
- What is your ‘to do’ (something that you want to start doing this month)?
- What is your ‘to continue doing’ (something that you want to continue doing this month)?
- What is your ‘to stop doing’ (something that you want to stop doing this month, something that isn’t helping you)?
- What is your ‘to not do’ (something that you do not want to do this month, because even though you might be tempted, you know it’s not a good idea)?
- What is your ‘to done’ (something that you have accomplished, something you’ve already done)?
- What is your ‘to-odle’ (something to do or ways to be when you want to relax)?
There you go. An easy peasy technique to get those plates ship shape. Now that you’ve stopped them spinning, pat your self on the back with your free hand and take a deep breath with your new found space.
Click here to download a worksheet you can fill in. Use it as a general planner, to focus on a specific project or however you wish.
For a really focused approach fill in my survey which uses the same technique but is concentrated on building your confidence (‘cause we can always use more of that magic sauce.)
Once you fill in the survey you’ll be able to see other’s responses so you can grow from their experience.
Leave a Reply